"If you never slow down, you never grow old." -Tom Petty
The inevitable is happening – winter is approaching – which means that the days are getting shorter and you likely have less and less interest and motivation to get your body moving. We know, it’s part of the typical fall and winter routine to move less but what if this year is different? What if you don’t allow yourself to fall into your usual habits and finish off 2020 with a bang instead? We know that you can do it!
The benefits of movement are countless and range from changes in mental health to physical health. Moving your body every day (yes, every day) can improve your mood, enhance your brain health, keep you physically fit, increase productivity – to name a few. Just as the quote states – “if you never slow down, you never grow old.” The more that you continue the move, the longer you’ll ideally be able to move. A body in motion stays in motion…
Running out of creative ways to move each day? Here are some ideas:
- Try a virtual yoga class – you can find thousands on YouTube or through your local yoga studios.
- Take the dog out for more than just a potty break – a few laps around the block or even a local trail…your pup will benefit from this as well!
- Call an old family member or friend and go for a walk while doing it.
- Dance! Alone, with your family, or with friends. Make an event of it!
- Ordering takeout or going out to dinner? Walk or bike instead of drive (location dependent, of course).
- Meet up with a friend or coworkers for a hike rather than happy hour (or maybe a hike, then happy hour!)
- Join an intramural sports league near you.
- Play! Rather than sit on the sidelines while your child or grandchild run circles around you…join them!
- Start small if you have to – you don’t have to commit to something big every time that you want to move. Even a 10-minute stroll can make an impact!
Let’s do this, shall we?